What We Do
The role of the Service and Advocacy committee is to:
- Promote local service projects that improve women’s legal rights, health, education, economic status and end violence against women and enhance women’s self-esteem; and
- Coordinate programs of Zonta International, and the club, at events and functions
- Raise the awareness of status of women’s issues.
- Provide education and development to women.
- Publicize and raise funds for local status of women projects and current international projects.
The Zonta Club of Melton has been involved in numerous projects locally, nationally and globally including:
- Birthing Kits for Third World countries - Assembly days held at local secondary schools;
- Breast Cushion making and distribution to local hospitals for women who have had surgery for breast cancer;
- Care packages for women and children affected by family violence, distributed through Women’s Health West network;
- Sponsorship of girls through “Bali School Kids” and “Endeavour Awards” for local VCE students;
- Annual International Women’s Day Dinner – presenting high profile guest speakers;
- Sponsorship of self-esteem programs for girls in local schools and youth groups;
- Provide information workshops on issues such as women’s health, superannuation and retirement planning;
- Community Knitting Project – making and distributing of blankets to aged care residents; and
- Supporting local charity CCCM by funding the supply of sanitary products and initiating financial counselling services.